Many relationships are strained by unmanaged drug and alcohol addiction problems. Approaching a girlfriend about a potential Vicodin abuse problem can be difficult as many people can become defensive. Trying to recognize if a girlfriend is abusing Vicodin can be challenging without knowing the common side effects of Vicodin and the typical behaviors of an addict. Vicodin commonly causes certain side effects among abusers that can help an individual recognize an abuse problem. Some of the common side effects of Vicodin abuse include the following:
- Impaired mental sharpness
- Mood changes
- Psychological dependence
- Inability to urinate
- Respiratory suppression
- Slow heart rate
It can be challenging to determine if your girlfriend’s Vicodin abuse problem has become severe enough that it requires professional treatment. Many negative circumstances can arise in your girlfriend’s life when she is abusing drugs that may indicate a need for professional treatment, including the following:
- Performance problems at work that result in disciplinary actions
- Performance problems in school
- Animosity within most relationships due to abnormal behavior and mood swings
- Excessive expenditures
- Constant negative behaviors
Consistent support and care for your girlfriend is essential to getting her the necessary help for recovery. Bringing up the subject of treatment for Vicodin abuse to your girlfriend can be difficult depending on her reaction. Some individuals may respond best to a private conversation in a comfortable setting. In other cases, some may need the perspective of close family members and friends to understand the need for treatment. Some of the different ways that may help an addicted girlfriend accept treatment for Vicodin abuse include the following:
- Having a private dinner at home and explaining how her abuse problems are affecting the relationship
- Gathering her close family members and friends together to talk to her about the Vicodin abuse problem and how it affects them
- Hiring a professional interventionist to aid in setting up an intervention that allows friends and family to speak to the girlfriend about how they are negatively affected by her abuse and to give her the chance to accept treatment
- Being supportive and caring but also creating consequences for not accepting treatment
- Picking out different accommodating treatment centers or therapists for her to choose from that can help her overcome her Vicodin addiction
A licensed and professional inpatient rehab program can offer the best results in overcoming Vicodin addiction. Utilizing aftercare programs and continuing therapy after rehab will help promote long-term recovery and help prevent relapses.
Need Help Finding Treatment for Vicodin Addiction?
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction to Vicodin and needs help, please call our toll-free number now. Our admissions coordinators are standing by 24 hours a day in order to help you find an addiction treatment program that will work for you. Overcome your addiction. Call us today.